Between working full-time, keeping up with social engagements, and maybe even caring for a family, life can be hectic, to say the least.
When you feel stressed or overwhelmed, you tend to forget to do the things that make you happy—we’ve all been there.
While it’s important to keep busy and stay connected with others, there are plenty of reasons why slowing down can be great for your health.
The concept of self-care looks different for everybody—what brings one person joy might not work for another person. Practicing self-care is essential for your overall well-being and it includes any activities that you purposely do to take care of your emotional, physical and mental health.
Self-care is a conscious act and will help you better handle and navigate any stresses you may encounter along your life journey.
At Aqua Paradise, your overall health and well-being are important to us, which is why we offer a wide selection of hot tubs and swim spas that can help you unwind and recenter.
If you want to up your self-care game, we’ve compiled some useful tips and information to get you started and help you find your inner Zen.
The Benefits of Self-Care
If you’re not used to taking the time for self-care, it might feel a little bit uncomfortable at first. However, the benefits from practicing self-care are incredible and you’ll quickly reap the benefits.
Improve Your Physical Health
Prioritizing self-care activities can lower your blood pressure, aid in weight maintenance, improve cardiovascular health, and help to improve your overall health.
Boost Your Mental Health
If we’ve learned one thing over the last year (throughout the pandemic), it’s that your mental health is fragile and ever so important. Without good mental health, it can be difficult to function in many aspects of your life.
Practicing self-care can increase your self-awareness, making it easier to realize when you’re feeling down or stressed out. You’ll be able to recognize patterns in your mental health and learn how to avoid these blue feelings in the future.
Self-care also makes you slow down, relax, and reflect on what’s really important in your life, providing you with some serious clarity.
Become a Better Caregiver for Loved Ones
When you take better care of yourself, the people around you will definitely take notice. If you’re battling depression or feel overworked, it’s hard to be your best self for your children or significant other.
Making the time for regular self-care can help you be a better version of yourself for your family and friends.
Enjoy a Much-Needed Break
Finding the time to sit down and relax can be extremely difficult if you’re a hardworking, go-go-go type of individual.
By dedicating some time to practice self-care on your own, you’ll get a chance to meditate, clear your thoughts, and escape from all of the stresses in your life. Even just climbing into your hot tub or swim spa alone for half an hour can be tremendously beneficial. To browse our luxury models, click here!
Self-care through hot tub or swim spa hydrotherapy can also help to generate positive feelings. Taking the time out of your hectic schedule to listen to your body and mind will make you feel good about yourself.
Find more useful health and lifestyle tips in our blog and online resource center.
30 Ways to Engage in Self-Care
The good news is that there are a million ways someone can participate in self-care. While we suggest soaking in a bubbly hot tub or swim spa, there are several other things that someone can do to care for themselves.
- Prioritize sleep and make sure you’re getting enough of it.
- Follow a healthy diet filled with fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and legumes.
- Stay hydrated. Health experts say that you should be drinking at least 8 glasses of water each day. Coffee and tea also counts toward that goal.
- Take breaks from your cell phone and social media. Go on a week-long social media hiatus and read a good book instead of mindlessly scrolling Instagram each day. Social media isn’t great for your mental health as it makes it very easy to compare yourself to others. While it can seem entertaining, it can also leave you with feelings of anxiety, depression, and loneliness.
- Stay in and watch your favourite movie or television show. Throw in some popcorn and cozy pajamas for the ultimate self-care movie night experience.
- Try meditation. Sit in a quiet room, light some candles, put some essential oils in the diffuser and clear your mind. There are plenty of downloadable apps to help guide you through a meditation session, if needed.
- Do a puzzle or do some sudoku on your phone. This will take your mind off of the stressful and overwhelming things happening in your everyday life. If you’re a video game enthusiast, download a new video game and immerse yourself in the alternate reality as it can be a great temporary escape.
- Read a book. Try to avoid books with heavy subject matter if you’re feeling anxious or down.
- Take a virtual kickboxing, dance, or yoga class online.
- Stretch. If you own a hot tub or swim spa, there are many water-friendly stretches that you can enjoy.
- Go for a walk. Spending time outdoors has been proven to lower your blood pressure and improve your mood.
- Relax in your hot tub with a fruity cocktail. If your hot tub is outside, this will also give you the opportunity to enjoy your peaceful backyard surroundings. Plus, spending time outdoors can also help you absorb vitamin D and improve your focus and quality of sleep.
- Go to the mall for some retail therapy. Even if you only buy something small, there’s a good chance that a gift from yourself will boost your mood and make you feel special.
- Hang out in a nearby park, forest or green space. Forest bathing is the act of strolling through or sitting in a lush forest. This is a great way to relax and improve your mood if you don’t feel like walking or hiking.
- Have a picnic in the park. Don’t forget a picnic blanket, your portable speakers, some sparkling waters, and healthy snacks.
- Go on a bike ride. Remember that safety is important so please wear a helmet. After the bike ride, have a relaxing hot tub (if you have one) as that will help relax your muscles and prevent any soreness you may feel the next day.
- Visit a local coffee shop. Buy yourself a fancy latte and post-up at a table in the corner. Bring a book to read or enjoy the people-watching.
- Try to find a new hands-on hobby. We suggest knitting, painting, drawing, or coloring in an adult coloring book.
- Detoxify in a sauna. Sweating in a sauna has a multitude of health benefits like weight loss, improved blood circulation, skin rejuvenation, improved immune function, pain reduction, and much more.
- Meet up with your best friend for a stroll around the park. If you’re a very social person, your ideal form of self-care might include company and that is completely okay.
- Bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies or muffins.
- Go for a professional massage and then treat yourself to a delicious tropical smoothie after.
- Book a manicure or pedicure at a nearby salon or have a DIY spa day at home.
- Clear your home’s designated junk drawer or declutter your closet. This will make you feel productive and remove any anxiety that you feel each time you look at it.
- After the kids are in bed, go outside, lay on a comfortable chair, and look up at the stars.
- Go for a facial. This is a great way to clear your pores while relaxing your facial muscles.
- Workout in your swim spa. There are tons of water-based exercises that can be performed in a swim spa. Swimming against the jets (resistance) can be a great way to improve your cardiovascular endurance while releasing endorphins, the feel-good chemicals.
- Clear your schedule, put on your favourite show, and order delivery for dinner. Food delivery services make it all too easy to have a delicious Italian feast on a weekday with no preparation or clean up.
- Journal or keep a diary. This can be very therapeutic while also allowing you to flex your creativity muscle. But if writing down your day-to-day experiences and feelings isn’t your forte, set some time aside to make a list of what you’re grateful for. By reflecting on the positive things of your life, you’ll feel much happier and forget about comparing your life to the lives of others.
- Clean your home or space. An organized, clean and tidy living space can help you to think clearly and really enjoy your relaxation time.
12 Signs You Need Self-Care
There are several signs to look for that signify it’s time to slow down and prioritize self-care. These include:
- Anxious feelings or worrying
- Difficulty concentrating or focusing on the task at-hand.
- Feeling overwhelmed or “burnt out”
- If you get angered or irritated easily
- Feelings of grumpiness or tiredness
- If you’re having difficulty getting your tasks finished at work or are producing work that is no longer up to standard
- If you find yourself making irresponsible decisions
- If you’ve been staying up too late, which makes it hard to wake up on time in the mornings
- Poor eating habits
- If you’ve recently gained or lost weight
- Disconnection from family members and friends
- If you’ve lost interest in the activities or hobbies that used to make you feel happy
Before starting a healthy self-care routine, set some goals as to how often you want to take part in the self-care activities and when. If you have difficulty finding time for yourself during the busy week, designate an hour every Sunday morning for some yoga or relaxation in your hot tub with a large mug of coffee.
If you’re significant other goes golfing every Wednesday afternoon that is the perfect opportunity for some self-care. But if you find that you’re having a hard time keeping up with the goal that you set with yourself, reevaluate the goal after a few weeks.
If you have a busy schedule and children to look after, it’s a good idea to speak to your significant other about your need for some “me time”.
Even if your significant other is only able to take the brunt of the parenting for only one hour a week, you’ll still notice an improvement in your overall well-being. Just because you’re a parent doesn’t mean that you have to give up on spoiling yourself and having alone time.
It’s important to remember that everyone’s self-care routine looks different so do not compare yourself to your friends or coworkers.
Some people find relaxation in high-energy activities like running or mountain biking whereas others unwind by watching a movie or by having a nap—there are few things better than waking up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed from an afternoon nap.
Engage in Self-Care with Aqua Paradise
We hope you found the information in this article helpful. Our experts at Aqua Paradise are always here to help and that’s why we have a fully-loaded owner resources section on our website, along with a list of the most frequently asked questions.
If you’re interested in finding a sauna, hot tub, or swim spa that will support your new self-care routine, contact our team at Aqua Paradise today.
We will do all that we can to ensure that your exciting purchase brings you joy for years to come.